Friday, March 23, 2012

How I Answer the "Why do you do this?" question.

     I am asked by lots of folks why we spend time chasing down opportunities to get autographs. I think it is many things that play a role in wanting to collect autographs. I am certainly a fan of many sports. I admire the skill, determination, and time it takes someone to become an accomplished athlete. I have tried my hand at a number of sports and had some success has a soccer player in high school. And I am proud that I spent one season pursuing Division 3 soccer at DePauw. I was fortunate to enter one game my freshman year against Rose Hulman before deciding that I needed to drop soccer the rest of my time in college to concentrate on academics. Having spent many hours playing soccer, I have a sense for what it takes to make oneself a competitive athlete. Those folks that really take it to the top level certainly gain my respect for that effort they have made in pursuing their dreams.
     My admiration for these athletes has driven me to want to have some connection with them. Part of the fun of collecting autographs is that we often get to briefly chat with the players. We have had many fun, funny, and fascinating interactions. George Foster, the 1977 NL MVP for the Cincinnati Reds, recently told us that when he had said "I want that back!" to my son Sam when Sam presented a game-used bat to Mr. Foster at 2011 Redsfest for him to sign, he had said that because he does not have one to show people. That shocks me (and makes me a little sad!). That someone who was known for his bats with their thin grip and their dark brown color -- called "Black Betty" -- does not have one in their collection to show off really surprised us. But it is one of many discussions we have had with athletes over the years.
     Being able to display a signed ball, jersey, bat, stick, or photo lets us relive our fun in collecting these autographs. We often have a chance to show our collection of items with others. Telling folks the stories about our adventures certainly is fun for us.
     So we admire these athletes, enjoy the interaction with them, and love making a connection with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment